Wednesday, September 18, 2013

WHAT A CHARACTER

A fictional character that has made an impression on me recently is Leah Price from The Posionwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. The Posinwood Bible was a book assigned to me to read over summer for school and even though I usually dislike books I am more of less "forced" to read, I really loved this one. After reading it, my outlook on certain topics almost changed entirely and I had this weird urge to travel to a different country and never return, and the slight feeling that maybe everyone else should do the same. "Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
My favorite character from the book was definitely the middle child, Leah Price. As I first started reading I actually found her annoying, but as she matured her narrative followed suit and I really began to appreciate her views on America and foreign countries, and the overall fairness of life. What I appreciated about her so much was that she was definitely a "round" character and throughout the book, which spans 3 decades, you could definitely tell how she learned and matured. Her sense of humor and the honest way she viewed the world drew me towards her as well and I really wouldn't mind reading a book with a heroine like her sometime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment