Thursday, November 14, 2013

A POETIC INQUIRY

My Big Question, which I wrote over the summer, reads: "In the end, does good really triumph over evil? Obviously bad things happen every single day, but do those bad events really guide us toward an end that is ultimately just and fair? In the whole scheme of things, are horrible events, such as an innocent child dying or a wicked man getting off free from a crime he committed, really justified, or can life be ultimately unfair for some?"


Since writing that question in summer, I would have to say that the question that I would probably ask now wouldn't be 100% what I had written then, but I get the gist of what I was saying which is this: Is there really some supreme balance of good and evil, yin and yang, or is the world just unfair, and is karma not really there to punish the unfair deeds that slip by unnoticed? 

To find a sonnet that related to this question, I pretty much just went on Google and searched "Sonnets about good and evil" and then, after finding nothing, "Sonnets about fairness" which led me to a site, poemhunter.com, with a wide variety of poems relating to the battle between good and evil. I finally settled on Bring Back Fairness and Justice by Dr. John Celes, because I felt like it captured my question the best. 
I wish to cry but cannot do so now,
For things are moving in the stupid way;
My fight must go on; I’ve no other go
Till God shows me ahead a better day.

This place is ’cursed for none can settle things;
It needs a major reshuffle/ repair;
It needs persons with super-natural wings;
The remedy is making all things fair.

No place with corruption progresses much;
No place with injustice exists for long;
All hearts and minds and souls need soothing touch;
Hopelessness can’t be allowed to prolong.

When righteous men are not given right jobs,
The place will end up in unending sobs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment